The city of Cape Town is characterised by an eclectic and colourful population, extraordinary mountain and ocean vistas and some of the finest restaurants in the world, many of which boast Michelin star ratings and other important international culinary awards.
Freshly caught seafood, sun ripened fruit and organic vegetables and wines of superior quality are all locally produced and are used to fine effect by the diverse blend of eateries which dot the city landscape.
Outstanding restaurants with spectacular views
What really elevates many of the fine dining restaurants in Cape Town to an entirely new level is their proximity to a number of the most stunning natural attractions on the planet.
Patrons not only enjoy the gastronomic delights created by inventive chefs but they also have the opportunity of watching spectacular sunsets; dolphins, seals and whales frolicking in the bay or simply the majesty of the cityâ€™s dominant feature, Table Mountain, as they wine and dine.
The V&A Waterfront â€“ a selection of fine dining experiences
One of Cape Townâ€™s most popular tourist attractions, the V&A Waterfront, has its fair share of sublime fine dining venues, all within close proximity of the CBD, premier Cape Town accommodation establishments and luxurious V&A Waterfront Apartments. In fact, at last count, there were 80 restaurants in the direct proximity of the working harbour and the trendy shopping, dining and entertainment area.
Maze by Gordon Ramsay
Easily one of the most exclusive and expensive restaurants in the city is located in an entirely new iconic landmark â€“ the fabulous One&Only Cape Town, dubbed South Africaâ€™s premiere urban chic resort and temporary home to a flotilla of well heeled celebrities, both local and international.
Based on the massively successful British restaurant of the same name, Maze is run by a Michelin star British chef and is the brainchild of the precocious award winning master chef, Gordon Ramsay. The truly inspirational menu of tasting-sized dishes features only the best seafood, game and organic produce.
The best of the rest
Other fine dining restaurants in the Waterfront and in close proximity to Cape Town luxury apartments and hotels include:
- Belthazar - voted Best Steak House in South Africa and the recipient of the Best Restaurant Service Award in the Waterfront and the 2009 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Apart from the fact that the restaurant boasts the biggest wine by the glass selection, Belthazar is enormously popular and offers a range of cuisine from escargot, caviar and grain fed Karan beef covered in a chocolate chilli sauce.
- Baia â€“ is an upmarket, trendy restaurant in the V&A Waterfront with sweeping outdoor terraces overlooking the harbour and Table Bay. Signature seafood dishes prepared in the grand colonial Portuguese tradition include Mozambican shellfish, Cape lobster and traditional Portuguese seafood cataplana.
- Den Anker â€“ a popular, value for money restaurant situated on the quayside of the V&A Waterfront. Strictly Belgian, this eatery boasts its own specially brewed Belgian beer, foie gras brulee, rabbit simmered in Belgian beer, herring flown in from Europe and a Belgian delicacy, Toast Cannibale or raw, freshly ground beef on toast!
- 221 Waterfront â€“ is the cityâ€™s answer to sumptuous sushi with two international sushi chefs preparing seafood delicacies. Apart from the raw fish delights, the restaurant offers a fusion of food from across the globe including prawns wrapped in pastry, brie baked with mango jelly and fresh Franschhoek trout.
Articles and Resources:
- Tips for an indulgent Cape Town holiday : Some helpful tips on where to splash out in Cape Town, for a perfectly indulgent holiday.
- South Africa Tourism : South Africa's official tourism website.
- Cape Town Travel Safety : Safety tips and emergency numbers for when you're travelling around the Mother City.
- Cape Town Attractions : A short guide to popular tourist attractions in and around City.
- Restaurant Guide : List of other restaurants in Cape Town.